Recall Review – August to December 2016
Electrical Safety First operates an online recall checker, which the public can use to search for product recalls and safety actions that may affect them, and also provides further information on what steps to take.
The checker is updated with information from trading Standards, the EU Rapid-Reaction system (RAPEX) and manufacturer’s webpages, and a typical notice includes general product information including a photo and identifying characteristics, the nature of the safety issue and the manufacturer’s advice, if available.
When a recall/safety action is added to the webpage an automatic email alert is sent out to subscribers and it is publicised on Electrical Safety First’s social media.
Over the last four months the recall checker has had a total of 16 electrical product recalls/safety actions added to it, compared to the previous quarter period’s 18. The total number of recalls recorded in 2016 until the 30th November is 58.
Over the past quarter period, as with the quarter before, visitor numbers to the recall checker have been much higher than usual, which is predominantly due to a major UK recall of tumble dryers. This is reflected in the top five quarterly recalls and top brands searched for.
From the 1st August until the 30th November 2016 the product recalls section has had 268,391 page views.
Top 5 recall/safety actions
1. Hotpoint, Indesit, Creda, Swan and Proline tumble dryers - 74,106 page views
2. Samsung fridge freezers – 3,167 page views
3. Hotpoint washing machines - 2,953 page views
4. Hager miniature circuit breakers- 2,907 page views
5. TT-TV 4k ultra HD TV box - 2,722 page views
Top brands searched for:
1. Hotpoint - 6,658 page views
2. Indesit - 5,052 page views
3. Samsung- 4,273 page views