Is it a requirement to be advised on the physical health and safety of electrical wiring?

Left double quote

This depends on the tenure of your property

Answered by Farrah, Electrical Safety Expert

This depends on the tenure of your property.

If you live in privately rented accommodation in England or Scotland, your landlord must have checks carried out on the electrical installation every five years, and provide you with a copy of the Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR).*

There is no requirement to have checks carried out on the installations in owner-occupied or socially rented properties - although most social housing providers do have them done on a regular basis as part of their duty of care towards tenants. We recommend that owner-occupiers have an EICR carried out every ten years, for their own peace of mind. You can find a registered electrician near you here.

* This will also be a legal requirement in Wales from July 2022.

Not what you were looking for?

Submit a question to our team and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. You’ll be notified by email once your question has been answered.