Virtual reality is a relatively new addition to the gaming world, and allows the player to fully immerse themselves in the gaming world. A VR headset is a device worn on the head over the eyes, allowing players to look around a virtual space as though they were really there.
VR headset safety
VR headsets are generally very safe to use as long as you follow the manufacturer’s instructions and take a few sensible precautions before and during use.
- Make sure you buy your headset from a reputable dealer, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
- It’s important to register a new headset with the manufacturer so that you can be contacted if a safety notice or recall is required. It also makes it easier for you to return a faulty product or order a repair. To register any of your appliances, regardless of age, visit our Product Registration page.
- Use our free online Product Recall checker to see if your VR headset or any other electrical items have been recalled.
- Check that your appliance has a UK plug; if it doesn’t, don’t try to use a UK travel adaptor. Get in touch with the retailer and ask them to fit a UK plug.
- Do regular checks of the plug and socket for burn marks, sounds of ‘arcing’ (buzzing or crackling) or if it feels too hot to touch. If you have fuses blowing or circuit-breakers tripping then contact a registered electrician to investigate.
- Any socket you plan to use to plug in a headset should have RCD (residual current device) Protection. An RCD is a life-saving device that protects against dangerous electric shock and reduces the risk of electrical fires. If you don’t have RCD protection in your fuse box for your sockets, consider using an RCD plug to protect you and your property from serious appliance faults.
Using your headset safely
- Do not use your headset if it appears to be damaged.
- Do not attempt to alter or manipulate your head et in any way.
- Take frequent breaks while playing, as the device may get hot.
- Do not wear glasses when using a VR headset.
- If you need to connect your mobile phone to the headset, do not use it while the phone is charging.
- Do not submerge your headset in water.