Electrical Safety First Core Data Set - Northern Ireland
Note: this is a working document and subject to review. When more up to date information becomes available, this data set will be updated to reflect this.
Deaths, Injuries and Fires 2018/19
Source: FOI of NIFRS
435 Accidental Dwelling Fires of Electrical Origin – 58% of all accidental dwelling fires.
These fires caused 129 Injuries – accounting for 53% of all fire related injuries.
They caused 1 death – accounting for 25% of all fire related deaths.
Of the accidental electrical fires:
251 or 58% were caused by cooking appliances.
125 or 29% were caused by electrical supply.
Accidental Dwelling Fires - 2017/18
- Apparatus - Batteries, Generators: 9 fires
- Central Heating / Hot Water: 4 fires
- Deep Fat Fryer: 1 fire
- Fluroescent Lights: 2 fires
- Grill / Toaster: 64 fires
- Heater / Fire: 18 fires
- Iron: 2 fires
- Microwave Oven: 14 fires
- Other Cooking Appliance: 74 fires
- Other Domestic Style Appliance: 6 fires
- Other Heating Equipment: 12 fires
- Other Incadescent Lightbulbs: 1 fire
- Other Lights: 6 fires
- Power Source: 2 fires
- Ring / Hot Plate (seperate appliance): 157 fires
- Spot Lights: 8 fires
- Tumble Dryer: 11 fires
- Vacuum Cleaner: 1 fire
- Washer/Dryer Combined: 1 fire
- Washing Machine: 2 fires
- Wiring, Cabling, Plugs: 167 fires
Grand Total: 576 fires