EICR is the abbreviation for Electrical Installation Condition Report. Formerly known as a Periodic Inspection Report or PIR.
Answered by Sarah, Electrical Safety Expert
An EICR is the abbreviation for Electrical Installation Condition Report (formerly known as a Periodic Inspection Report or PIR).
Once you've had the electrical installation in your home checked, the electrician will issue an EICR which will:
- Record the results of the inspection and testing to make sure the electrical installation is safe to be used until the next inspection (following any work needed to make it safe)
- Find any damage and wear and tear that might affect safety, and report it
- Find any parts of the electrical installation that do not meet the Wiring Regulations, the national standard to which all domestic and industrial wiring must conform
- Help find anything in the installation that may cause electric shocks and risk of electrical fire
- Provide and important record of the installation at the time of the inspection, and for inspection testing in the future