RCDs can be regularly checked using the test button on the device
Answered by Rupert, Electrical Safety Expert
RCDs can be regularly checked using the test button on the device. If this doesn't work, you should get a registered electrician to investigate. It you may also consider having your installation properly checked.
Once you've had the electrical installation in your home checked, the electrician will issue an EICR which will:
- Record the results of the inspection and testing to make sure the electrical installation is safe to be used until the next inspection (following any work needed to make it safe)
- Find any damage and wear and tear that might affect safety, and report it
- Find any parts of the electrical installation that do not meet the Wiring Regulations, the national standard to which all domestic and industrial wiring must conform
- Help find anything in the installation that may cause electric shocks and risk of electrical fire
- Provide an important record of the installation at the time of the inspection, and for inspection testing in the future
You can find an electrician local to you here.