Can you use UK electrical appliances safely abroad?

Left double quote

Yes, but you must consider the type of socket.

Answered by Sarah, Electrical Safety Expert

Yes, but you must consider the type of socket, the voltage and the frequency of the electricity supply used in the country you are visiting. In most cases a travel adaptor will be needed.

Use our handy travel adaptor guide for when travelling -

Where the supply voltage is different you may need to use a voltage transformer or converter unless the electrical appliance or its power supply is dual voltage rated. If the frequency is different, the normal operation of an electrical appliance may also be affected. For example, a 50Hz clock may run faster on a 60Hz electricity supply.

For travellers to Europe only the socket type needs to be considered as the voltage and frequency are the same as the UK.

Not what you were looking for?

Submit a question to our team and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. You’ll be notified by email once your question has been answered.