Is it legal for a non-registered electrician to rewire my house?

Left double quote

Although they could, it is not advised as you won't be issued a Building Regulations (Part P) compliance certificate.

Answered by Dave, Electrical Safety Expert

Although they could rewire your house, an unregistered electrician is unable to self-certify their work and therefore won't be able to supply you with a Building Regulations (Part P) compliance certificate, which is required by law for all notifiable work.

Notifiable work is a term used to describe particular types of work that are subject to compliance with Building Regulations (Part P) notification or approval. A rewire falls into this category. We recommend that you use a registered electrician for any work in the home, please visit our find an electrician section.

Not what you were looking for?

Submit a question to our team and we’ll get back to you as soon as possible. You’ll be notified by email once your question has been answered.