Press P: Life of the Party

17 September 2015

When you Press P you can follow Dad’s decision – either to replace the fusebox himself in time for a very special party, or to call in a registered electrician to do the work. By switching between the two stories, you can see the impact of his decisions.

You can watch the two stories unfold below, but if you would like to control the outcome, then visit and Press P on your keyboard to change the story.

About Part P

All electrical installation work in homes in England and Wales must comply with Part P of the Building Regulations.

Part P is in place to keep you and your family as safe as possible from electrical hazards, and applies to new domestic properties as well as any alterations or additions to electrical installations in existing properties, including full or partial rewires.

In England, such work covers:

  • circuit alteration or addition in a special location*
  • installation of one or more new circuits
  • installation of a replacement fusebox
  • rewire of all circuits
  • partial rewire
  • new full electrical installation (new build)

* Certain zones within a room containing a bath or shower, or a room containing a swimming pool or sauna heater

By law, as the homeowner or landlord, you must be able to prove that all electrical installation work on your property meets the requirements of Part P, or you will be committing a criminal offence.

If you are planning any electrical installation work like the above in your home you need to either:

  • employ an electrician who is registered with one of the Government-approved Part P schemes; or
  • Appoint a third party certifier to sign off the work (this must be done before the work starts); or
  • tell your local authority building control about the installation work before it starts. The work will then need to be inspected on completion.

We strongly recommend that you use a registered electrician to do any electrical installation work you need. They work to the UK national safety standard and will give you a safety certificate to confirm that their work has been designed, inspected and tested in line with that standard.

You can find out more about Part P of the Building Regulations here.

We also have advice to help you to find a registered electrician.

More posts by Gareth Evans

Related articles