Travel Adaptor for North America

North America travel adaptors

With so much to see and do, discovering all the delights of North America can take a bit of planning. It’s important to arm yourself with knowledge, to make sure you see all the delights this continent has to offer.

North America travel adaptors: which type do I need?

You will need to consider what to pack, to ensure you can use your personal electrical appliances safely whilst abroad. This normally includes the use of a travel adaptor, which is a device that simply allows you to plug any UK electrical appliance into a foreign electrical socket. It is important to note that it does not convert the voltage or frequency.

Travelling to North America? Find out which travel adaptor you’ll need by following one of the links below:

Canada | Greenland | United States | Mexico

Voltage converters and transformers

Electricity supplies worldwide can vary from anything between 100V and 240V. It can be extremely dangerous to use an electrical appliance that is rated at a voltage different from the supply.

Converters and transformers perform a similar function, but their applications differ. Converters are typically used with appliances that operate for a short duration (1-2hours), whilst most transformers can be used alongside appliances that operate continuously.

As voltage can differ from country to country, you may need to use a voltage converter or transformer. You can determine whether you’ll need to use a converter or transformer, by researching the voltage used in the destination you’re travelling to on our travel adaptors page.

North America

Double insulated equipment

It’s important to understand that some travel adaptors are not suitable for any appliances that require an earth connection. These types of travel adaptors should only be used with double insulated equipment, which will be clearly marked with the symbol shown below.

Double -insulated -symbol