Fitness Trackers and Watches
It’s never been easier to stay fit and healthy – with the invention of fitness trackers and watches, you only have to glance at your wrist to see where you’re at with your exercise goals.
Fitness tracker safety
Fitness trackers are generally very safe to use as long as you follow the manufacturer’s instructions and take a few sensible precautions before and during use.
- Make sure you buy your fitness tracker from a reputable dealer, and follow the manufacturer’s instructions carefully.
- It’s important to register a new fitness tracker with the manufacturer so that you can be contacted if a safety notice or recall is required. It also makes it easier for you to return a faulty product or order a repair. To register any of your appliances, regardless of age, visit Register My Appliance.
- Use our free online checker to see if you have any recalled electrical items.
- Check that your appliance has a UK plug; if it doesn’t, don’t try to use a UK travel adaptor. Get in touch with the retailer and ask them to fit a UK plug.
- Do regular checks of the plug and socket for burn marks, sounds of ‘arcing’ (buzzing or crackling) or if it feels too hot to touch. If you have fuses blowing or circuit-breakers tripping then contact a registered electrician to investigate.
- Any socket you plan to use to plug in a fitness tracker should have RCD (residual current device) Protection. An RCD is a life-saving device that protects against dangerous electric shock and reduces the risk of electrical fires. If you don’t have RCD protection in your fuse box for your sockets, consider using an RCD plug to protect you and your property from serious appliance faults.
Using your fitness tracker safely
- Do not use your fitness tracker if it appears to be damaged.
- Do not attempt to alter or manipulate your fitness tracker in any way.
- Do not submerge your fitness tracker in water, unless the manufacturer has specifically stated that the device is waterproof.
- Do not submerge the charger in water, or use with wet hands.
- Do not attempt to replace the battery.
- Do not clean your fitness tracker while it’s being charged.
- Do not dispose of your fitness tracker in a fire – the battery could explode.